Asteroids - Collisions and Craters
- Barringer Meteor Crater, Arizona
- Diameter: 1.186 km
- Age: 49,000 years
- Chicxulub, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
- Diameter: 300 km
- Age: 64.98 million years
- This is three-dimensional map of local gravity and magnetic field
- Thought to have caused half a year of global darkness by kicking up
billions of tons of sulphur and materials into the atmosphere.
- Killed half the world's species, including dinosaurs.
- Wolfe Creek, Australia
- Diameter: 0.875 km
- Age: 300,000 years
- Rim rises 25 meters above the surrounding plains and the crater floor
is 50 meters below the rim.
- Manicouagan, Quebec, Canada
- Diameter: 100 km
- Age: 212 million years
- One of the largest impact craters still preserved on the Earth's
- This picture was taken from the shuttle.
- Clearwater Lakes, Quebec, Canada
- Diameter: 32 km/22 km
- Age: 290 million years
- These are twin impact craters, formed simultaneously by two separate
but related meteorite impacts.
Asteroids Home Page